Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Updating to Windows 8.1?


Updating from Windows 8 to 8.1?

The update process is quite daunting and time consuming as I described in this article about the tricks Microsoft uses.

So far at least this update is not mandatory. It brings IMHO only minor cosmetic changes and contains nothing that my customers don't already have; point in question here is a Start button and a decent desktop.

Additionally I have read quite a few reports of sometimes major problems with this update. These problems do not only pop up on older computers that do not have features in their processor that only recently became common.

I have read as well of problems on brand new computers that were bought with Windows 8 installed by the manufacturer.

My conclusion: There is no technical need to upgrade. For the time being I recommend to hold off.

As usual I welcome suggestions and comments right here in the blog.

Click here for a categorized Table Of Contents.


No comments: